Friday, April 11, 2008

A Lot Can Happen in 8 Months

I've been a very slack blogger I know, so here's a summary of what happened after my last post...

- had another IVF cycle, this time classed as a natural cycle where I didn't have any drugs until about day 10
- scans showed I had 2 follicles
- Dr decided that was as good as it was going to get so went ahead with egg pick up
- ended up having 6 eggs (4 were playing hide and seek)
- 5 fertilised
- 4 made it to day three
- 1 embryo was transferred on Sept 5, 2007...

I knew I was pregnant within about 5-7 days - it was just something that felt very familiar. I had the positive home pregnancy test, followed by successful blood tests and then booked in for my 6 1/2 week scan with Dr Julie.

Scene: Curtained cubicle in Julie's office
Cast: Me, hubby & baby #1
She Who Writes (SWW) is lying on the bed, discreetly covered by a sheet. Dr Julie approaches with the lovely ultrasound wand for an internal ultrasound. We are looking for a foetal heart beat.

SWW watches the grainy screen for the tell tale flutter...but also watches Dr Julie's face. There is always that seed of fear of "What if there's no heartbeat..."

Dr Julie scans the uterus and suddenly becomes very still.
SWW holds her breath for a moment, noticing Dr Julie's change in demeanour. She wonders for a split second if her worst fears have become reality...

Dr Julie looks at SWW and says: My darling, there's 2.
SWW starts to cackle at the absolute irony of it all. How hilarious! I'm pregnant with twins.

From behind the curtain hubby takes a sharp intake of breath and shouts: No way!!!!

It really was a funny situation. Here I am, laughing at how ridiculous life is and how lucky we are; Dr Julie is shaking her head in disbelief - she's on a run of twins at the moment; hubby is picking himself up off the floor just in time to ask the all important question: Do we get double the baby bonus (a $4,000 payment the Aus government gives you when you have a baby). The answer is yes.

So here I am now, almost 34 weeks pregnant with my identical twin boys. We assume they are identical anyway - that's the only logical explanation but we'll be having DNA tests done on the placentas at birth just to make sure.

I've had an easy pregnancy with no complications, the boys are growing absolutely on track and all is well....except for a revolting bug I've picked up that I can't get rid of. You know, the head cold, aching body, rib-hurting cough etc. If only I could have codeine or pseudoephodrine, but alas, mummy-to-be cannot. So instead I sleep a lot and rely on hubby to look after baby #1. My obstetrician, Dr Neroli (fantastic, awesome, wonderful woman she is) says that it's going to take a long time for me to get over this as my boys are taking priority.

The good news is that it hasn't affected them at all. And sometime between now and 6 weeks down the track I will get to meet my beautiful boys. We are so excited and so blessed. These are my promise boys - they are God's extra special gift to us.

I will keep you posted...although it may be another 8 months before I get time to write!!

No comments: