Monday, April 28, 2008

What an Exciting Time...

Yesterday was a great day. I ended up getting a contract in the mail from the Queensland Writer's Centre for my article, The Unutterable Phrase which will appear in their September edition. I also got an acceptance email from Copeland Publishing for my article, Earning My Stripes. They want to keep it on file to be used in a future edition of their Brisbane's Child magazine, which also has a Sydney, Melbourne and Perth version - I think they are pretty much the same just with local advertising. I guess in reality this one may never be published, but at least they want to hang on to it for a while.

I also was approached to write for CQ (Collegiate Quarterly) which is the Sabbath School lesson produced by the Adventist church for young adults. I jumped at the chance - it's a nice change to write to someone else's specs rather than just where my whim and fancy takes me. I decided to get stuck into it last night, as I'm very aware each evening could be my last before the twins arrive, and became quite inspired by it all. The end result was really pleasing. That one will be published in the fourth quarter, 2009 (Oct-Dec).

It appears that I may have found my calling. This whole process is sitting so well with me - probably because it is me. Hopefully the motivation will continue! It's just so much fun! And even my rejection letters aren't actually bothering me. I guess I've had a balance of yesses and nos, so that helps.

And I've also decided that there's a good reason why I like Christian author, Max Lucado's books. I love the way he writes and I can pick his work just about anywhere. I've decided it's because I actually write in a similar way. Now I'm not suggesting I have his ability, talent or anything else for that matter - it just suddenly hit me why his writing resonates with me so much. Who knows, maybe one day our names will appear in the same sentence!!! It doesn't hurt to dream does it??

No comments: