Thursday, April 17, 2008

Baby's Breathing?

I had a bizarre experience last night. Sitting on the couch I had my hand resting on my ginormous belly...a regular practice for me! I can't help but want to touch my beautiful baby boys and I love to feel them move.

Twin #2 sits highest on my belly and is closest to the surface. I feel him move much more frequently than my placid Twin #1. As usual, it was Twin #2 that I noticed. It was a really subtle, gentle movement. It suddenly occurred to me that it was just like I had my hand on his chest and he was breathing. It wasn't like the hiccups - both boys have those on an almost daily basis so I was certain this was different. It was gentle and rhythmic, a rise and fall.

I called Mike over and he too could feel the regular movement. It felt like breathing to him too. So we decided we had been privileged to feel our baby breathe in utero...

...until this morning when I sat down and thought about it - and of course, the obvious suddenly struck me - he can't breathe yet!! He has no need to breathe yet! There is no oxygen in the womb. So, what was this all about??

I have decided that he was practice breathing. Apparently, in utero babies swallow amniotic fluid and practise the breathing process. I think Twin #2 was doing exactly that. If anyone else has any wonderful explanations of this unique experience I'd love to hear from you!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was doing a search for practice breathing and found your blog. It was nice to hear that someone else has felt this practice breathing as well. I am 38 weeks pregnant and have noticed this exact same thing the past few weeks!

Karen Collum said...

It was a very strange experience, I must say! Good luck over the next few weeks. My twins are now 3 months old and it seems forever ago that I was pregnant...hope it all goes really well for you.
Karen