Saturday, April 12, 2008

Look Out World, I'm Having a Book Published!!

I'm a sucker for sharing news - good and bad. As soon as something significant happens in my life I'm on the phone. It usually goes in this order...Mum, Ally, Sarina, Karly, Belinda...and whoever else happens to be home. Of course Mike gets first dibs if it's something that would interest him...I think he's secretly glad I have girlfriends I can talk to - otherwise I'd drive him crazy.

Anyway, my good news is....drum roll please....one of my picture book manuscripts has been accepted for publication by a small publisher, Innovative Resources (http://www.innovativeresources.org/).

The picture book is called There's an Elephant in My Loungeroom and deals with the harsh reality that many of our kids are growing up in homes where there are addictions or compulsive behaviours influencing their lives in profoundly negative ways. The book is a therapeutic picture book that will hopefully allow children the opportunity to explore what elephant lives in their loungeroom and open up a dialogue with counsellors and therapists about how it impacts them. It could also be used in the classroom but would need a really sensitive teacher to guide the discussion.

So, I'm very excited. I won't see a contract until about July as they need to source an illustrator first and it won't be off the press until the second half of 2009. And I'm certainly not going to be rich! I will get 2.5% of the retail price at the most...which will be somewhere between about 50c and $1 per copy. So I hope you all buy 10!!!

This rates as one of my top 10 achievements in my life. I have always wanted to be a published author and it's going to happen - with a lot of divine intervention!! God's timing was perfect - I sent off the manuscript just when Innovative Resources were discussing the exact metaphor I used. I just feel really led in this direction. I would love to be able to make a living from home as an author...it's what I feel is my true calling and it appears God is confirming that desire He placed within my heart.

So, look out world, I'm having a book published!

No comments: