Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Waiting Game

According to the ticker on my computer, I have exactly 23 days to go before I reach full term with this pregnancy. In reality, it's probably going to be half that. So I've reached that phase where I'm just, well, waiting!

The twins are growing beautifully and last Wednesday were approximately 5lb 12oz according to the ultrasound. By now they have probably hit the 6lb mark. Not bad for two! But the downside is they are running out of room...and there's only so far I can stretch. Apparently I'm stretchier than I realised, although the reverse stretchiness that is required after the birth...well, let's just say I'm not counting my breath on ever wearing a bikini again!!! Which, by the way, I have no problems with whatsoever. Stretch marks and extra skin are the least of my concerns and pale into such insignificance compared with the joy I've had at carrying my boys.

But I do wonder when they are going to arrive. Today is Labour Day in Queensland - so I don't know if that's a good thing or not!! I could give a new definition to the term, perhaps its true meaning afterall. None of this marching on parliament for better working conditions - check out your local maternity hospital instead.

Sleep is a challenging prospect with two babies wriggling around. Hiccups from the boys now feel like small earthquakes in my nether regions, which is not exactly what I would call comfortable. And if either of them decide to stretch lengthways, I'm in real strife! There's just no more room and they run into ribs and pelvis...and a range of internal organs that I'm quite attached to and still need.

I'm not ready for them to come just yet though -although I'm sure I would cope if they did. I'm happy for them to stay put for another week. And I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining because I'm honestly not - just making a few observations about what being 36+ weeks pregnant with twins is like!

What a privilege it is, however, to actively partner the Creator in creating new life. I am so blessed.

No comments: